Monday, October 26, 2009

It's beginning to look a lot like the Carter Administration


Yes, folks; It's beginning to look a lot like the Carter Administration.


Today, I awoke to another news report from "over there": Choppers Crash in Afghanistan, Leaving 14 Dead; A series of helicopter accidents have killed 14 American troops and civilians.

I though to myself: Wait, more helicopter crashes? Weren't there other crashes of choppers recently? Head on collisions, even? Is there a pattern here?

This immediately brought back memories of when I was in the Service (not the military), and President Carter was fumbling his way around the White House; I remember the Carter Era vividly, of course from a Enlisted man's perspective; I was a captive audience in the belly of the Beast when the Turkey was bumbling one issue after another. Well, during Carter's regime there were hostages taken in Iran, and Jimmie Carter - the ex-captain of a nuclear submarine, organized several secret (logistical) operations to rescue the hostages in Tehran; However, they were never able to get one single hostage freed since every attempt was fraught with accidents. There were accidents on the aircraft carrier that was off the coast of Iran in the straits of Hormuz; Accidents in the middle of the desert where the rangers and commandos were dropped; Accidents of airplanes and helicopters, with many lives lost; Yet, no one was rescued. How can one man have been so inept and incompetent, unless he was doing these blunders on purpose? He sure made it look as if he had the reverse-Midas effect; Everything he touched turned to dust!

The rash of Armed Forces aircraft accidents under way are reminiscent of the Carter years. When we had to turn down our thermostats to 72 F in the winter, and up to 80 F in the summer. Yes, the man that would change our English measurement system to metric; No more inches and feet, he promised, it would be Meters and Centimeters in a few years time.

As I watch the Obama crew attempting to re-invent everything from Auto Manufacturing, to Banking, to Blue Cross Blue Shield; it gives me a flash back of that futile and technical period known as the Carter Era. I hope that our world can recuperate from all the "changes" this new Carter (Obama) regime manages to wreck. Though I'm an optimist, I honestly doubt that all the overhauling that has taken place, or will shortly take place will ever be repaired. I can only remember President Obama's statement as he signed the Bail-Out Stimulus Bill Part II, when he said: "This is the beginning of the end". This time around, I hope this isn't another Carter in disguise, messing- up everything for the hell of it.

Meanwhile, let the peace begin! One peace at a time.

I keep hearing the implied words:
It's for your own good.

This is going to hurt me more than you.........

Habitat for humanity my foot! It's all about control! Where's Alfred E. Neuman?